Saturday, September 26, 2026

The Format Journal-Assignment 3 David Merino

Date: September 23, 2026

Photo Professional: Drone Workshop at TU, David Merino

Specialty: Lead Multimedia Services, providing technical and creative services to

support faculty instruction and research. Licensed Drone operator.

Location: Towson University Campus,  Science Complex, Towson, MD 21252



Objective:

The class stayed within the confines of Towson University for this photo imaging field visit. This hands-on workshop class was held outdoors on a cool but agreeable overcast day so that the primary subject of learning about Drone operation and photography could be experienced. 

David Merino, as a Licensed Drone operator, provided us with information about the types of Drones and instructions on how to use one. There was the definition between being a recreational user which would not require being licensed and commercial use. Commercial would require the user being licensed by an FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate that is required for anyone flying a drone for work, business, or any non-recreational purpose in the United States.

Besides the certification having to be renewed every two years, there are also rules about prohibited locations for flying a drone and elevation restrictions.

David also mentioned the maximum altitude limit set by the FAA of 400 feet above ground level (AGL) for most recreational and commercial drone flights in the United States.

An interesting take about the 400-foot rule was it applied from where you stood and if you were on the roof of a tall building and the drone flew beyond that edge you would automatically be above the allowed footage but would still remain within the rules.

David mentioned the wind element, while his drone can max out a speed 40 miles an hour on a still day, the wind, just 10 miles an hour, can drop the speed down since the drone directs more energy and battery life into stabilizing its body to remain parallel to the surface and the flight pattern. David’s drone has a limit of maintaining its stability when the winds reach 20 mph. This also makes it very important to check the screen for battery life so that a return flight is not jeopardized.

 Most drones use a GPS in the general public arena but there are specialized instances such as the military as an example that use Starlink internet in tandem with GPS.

Photos for Objective: By David Merino-extracted from his Drone video. Layout in DaVinci Resolve editing by Craig L Haupt


Subjective: Plus a little objective

Then there was the hands-on part. David, used exceptionally well worded instructions on how to work the controls of the remote to control the flight of the Drone. As each student received a chance to learn to operate his drone, he provided continued instructions and positive reinforcement to guide us through the lift-off, maneuvers, camera, and touch-down. I took the time, amidst conversations and questions, to watch most classmates touch-down on his landing dish and to quote someone, now lost in history, who said, “we did good”.

It goes without saying, David did have an override remote control in his hands just in case.


I was surprised by how simple the controls to operate the drone were for this introduction. I’m sure there are nuances that need to be mastered but the basic operating system on the remote was relatively simplified.

Of course, the higher the price when purchasing a drone, the more bells and whistles are added. And with that the added complication, accessories, and maintenance that accrues.

David added the Apple tablet set to a stationary vertical position on a tripod for easier viewing of the flight path and landing. He did mention that this set up is only for more controlled situations and that when he travels as he did to the UK and Austria, he only takes the handheld controls. 

Photos by me except the Drone equipment photo: from Amazon sales photo.

Notes:

While I’m very intrigued at the idea of owning a drone and the photo capabilities, that doesn’t mean I haven’t found myself looking downward as I walk with the camera for creative results without one. So, there is a connection between the drone and a sliver of my artistic path.

Note 1: A Simulated Drone Flight.

As with the previous two assignments, I worked with staged set-ups to provide support photos. In this case I lack the drone. So, it seemed a set-up was in order to mimic a drone flight. To be honest, as I looked at the future assignments this may be the last time I do one of these staged set-ups nor do I think they will be of this Blog length. But I shouldn't be held to that. 




As you will see in this one-minute video I tried to simulate a drone flight and with it I reinforced the basic principles of that it can be easy to get the camera up in the air, but it takes practice to master controls, in this case hand holding the camera and switching positions as it traveled around. I tried several attempts using the Canon M50 video camera, but it wouldn’t adjust the focus quickly enough in flight as the elevation changed. Although with failed attempts I was still able to figure out and improve my movements with hands and feet for my flight pattern. I switched to the phone video camera and after a few attempts I was able to get a passable rendition of a drone flight. 

It was processed and YouTube free-stock music added in DaVinci Resolve editing.





Top: Still shots showing some of the layout detail for the video. Bottom: Pencil journey/flow is roughly 15 feet in length. 


Note 2: Photography

There are photos. While I find various subjects to photograph as I learn to use the DSLR camera, there are numerous occasions where I’m training my eyes to look down for overhead shots. There are topics such as the train wheels, but my main focus is finding abstract compositions.


Note3: Art-painting/watercolor

In art, with my creative style of making things up, I have found myself creating artworks that depict overhead views from time to time. These are three examples. There are several more, some as a main design and others that have integrated overhead views within the main design.

Left: oil, 18 x 18 inches  Center: pen & ink/watercolor, 12 x 12 inches  Right: acrylic, 12 x 12 inches.  


Note 4: Aerial Photography

I have a friend, Peter (Pete) Stern, that enjoys photography both underwater and with owning a rear mounted motor & single propeller on the back Leica 'Pusher' plane takes aerial photo images akin to David’s drone photography. I have always held a high esteem for Pete’s photography since meeting him.

For this assignment, Peter kindly emailed me four jpg photos taken from his plane, offering another perspective on aerial photography.

He has a knack for finding the abstract beauty within the landscape he flies above.  


Top left: Wachapreague        Top right: Leafy Sea Dragon       
 Bottom left: Carbon             Bottom right: Island, Pretty Boy Reservoir 

___________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment